June 28, 2008

Three Fun Self-Health Resources

I've got three terrific health resources for those -- like my husband and myself -- who need to do more than lose weight or start exercising to turn their lives around. These are for digging deeper into what you're eating, and how to balance the food in your life with the lifestyle you want.
  • Prevention Health Trackers: What I like: lots of charts and graphs, plenty of lifestyle elements to consider and track, detailed nutritional breakdowns, and custom measurements for special health needs.

What's shown above is the Foods Eaten tab; there's another for exercise, another for tracking moods -- which can make a huge difference in the success of any lifestyle changes -- and a really fun Reports page for those who still haven't played with enough charts and graphs.

There's a lot more on the site with which to work (and play), including an excellent recipe collection and a fitness section with something for everyone, from slow stretches to marathon running, and everything in between. I do recommend beginning with the Health Trackers if you want a springboard; the Custom Measurements alone make this resource well worth checking out.

What I like: several terrific features here, including a free newsletter and a healthy recipe section, an optional exercise modifier, thousands of excellent tips and articles, and far more nutritional information than you ever thought you'd see, for more products -- in more ways to serve them -- than you might expect.

I find myself going back to this site again and again, tracking Potassium and other nutrients, fiber, and odd-sized portions. You can earn what those nutrients do for you, and how much you really need. Still, I've barely dipped into this resource. Take your time here; there's a LOT to discover. I just found their FireFox search plugin , today.
  • CookingLight, particularly the Healthy Life and Menus & Planning sections. I'll just mention that I found this resource the same way most do -- in magazine form, and I bought each issue as it came out, checking weekly to see if the newest issue was available yet. I finally realized this magazine was a part of our new lifestyle, and got a subscription.


But, sometime into the first issue I purchased, I discovered the wonderful resource provided with the CookingLight website. Either of the links mentioned above make terrific launch points for more information, and many more recipes. My husband and I can't use every recipe, but that's because our health needs are very specific. However, we are able to use most of the vegetarian recipes as-is, and most of the others require simple adaptations -- for example, substituting seriously-low-sodium (SLS?) broths for cooking oils to keep our fat intake down without increasing sodium. If you're looking for really healthy foods that don't sacrifice anything for flavor, you'll greatly enjoy this site.

No comments: